As the World Turns....

The life and times of a girl trying to understand (and see) the world in Washington, D.C.

22 October 2005

My First Bologna Dinner Party

Last night I hosted my first dinner party of the season, with my roommate, Megan. It was a last minute decision, but we managed to round up a good group of willing diners.

From right, Jeanette, Shay, Mark, my empty chair, Megan, and Pete (my third roommate, who I think is making his blog debut)

The same group, but with me included

As anyone who I have cooked for in the past knows, there is only one thing that I will make and willingly serve to others-risotto verde made with leeks and fresh herbs.

This actually is a picture of the recipe. My roommate in Seattle, Kristen, had a large book filled with recipes. I really liked this one, so I scanned into my computer. Pretty high-tech, no?


This is second time I have made risotto in Italy and neither time has the dish turned out as well as when I make it in the States. I can't figure out why. Perhaps the rice doesn't soak up the flavour the same way? Maybe the bouillon isn't as flavorful? Maybe my metric conversions aren't perfect? I don't know. It still turned out okay last night, but it is just not the same. Perhaps the Italians are just trying to prevent Americans from coming over and making better risotto than them. ;-) I just don't know.

Anyway, the dinner party turned out very well. Mark brought yummy cheese and wine from southern Italy and Shay brought salad fixings. He even made croutons. I am always impressed when people make things that I never considered making myself--like croutons and salsa. But they are so easy to make. Almost as easy as taking a box off the shelf at the supermarket. For dessert, I bought, at the last minute, individually wrapped chocolate pies. It was the equivalent of putting Hostess cupcakes on a plate and serving them, but since this is Italy it was a little classer than that. All in all the dinner went very well.

After dinner, we made the requisite trip to the Celtic Druid. Ah yes, the Druid. Can't go a weekend without a trip. This picture, therefore, closely resembles previous pictures taken on previous trips to the Druid. I may even be sitting in the same seat. Oh well.

Jeanette, Mark and myself. At some point I will learn that the camera actually has a much wider focal area than I realize.

The goal tonight is to find some place new and different. Yes. New. Different. Perhaps even Italian?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home